It’s not quite as fun without the right hardware… This following gear should enable you to get the most out of InLAN. The list goes something like this:
- Computer tower/case (or Laptop)
- Installed 10/100/1000Mbit Ethernet (UTP) network card (if you don’t have one built in, most modern computers do)
- Keyboard, Mouse & Mouse Pad
- Power-board (you are only provided 1 power socket)
- Extension cord (if you’ve got one handy)
- All associated power/network cables
- Operating system CDs in case something goes wrong with your computer
- Speakers (speakers may be permitted but only at the digression of the InLAN organisers.)
If your computer is used to share your internet connection at home, you may have a DHCP server installed such as WinGate, SyGate, WinRoute, Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) etc. If you have a DHCP server installed, disable it before you come. If you are unsure or don’t know, please check with an admin at the event before you plug into the network.
- IP Address
Please ensure your network settings are set to automatic or obtain IP Address automatically. Fixed IP addresses are not used at InLAN.
What if I don’t have a…?
- Computer? – Keep saving those pennies…
- Network port? – Most computers and laptops have a network port, but occasionally we find ones that are older and/or don’t have one. We can order a network card for you and assist it’s installation into your computer. You must contact us before the event so that we can order one in and have it ready for you on the day.
- Network cable – Buy one from Dick Smith, Harvey Norman or another IT retailer.
- Anything else – Ask your mates, they should be able to help you out. Failing that, contact us and we’ll see what we can do.